140 Years of Service
The community of Sisters of Perpetual Adoration Bride Street Wexford have a very proud and fruitful tradition of Perpetual Adoration for the past 140 years. This community of Sisters of various ages and backgrounds from different parts of the country, endeavour to follow Christ in a Gospel way of life. Their Charism of Perpetual Adoration is a privileged way of life offering peace, solace and joy. They are women of prayer personally and in community and by their life help in pointing us to God. In thanking God for their prayer and witness we also thank God for their families who have nurtured such vocations.
They see this year of Consecrated Life as an ideal opportunity to take stock, to look back at the past, assess the present and above all envision the future based on hope and prayer. These courageous women are powerful witnesses, highly motivated to show that as Pope Francis says “it is possible to live differently in this world”
They have just launched their fabulous new website; www.adorationsisters.ie and well worth viewing. Their contact details are on their website
There are many challenges facing religious communities today. It can be hard to assert a way of life that that a modern culture can view as old-fashioned or just different. Yet these women would never see their lives that way. In fact they exude palpable joy, enthusiasm and peace. They would take to heart very much the words of Our Lord to Joshua after the death of Moses “Have I not told you be strong and stand firm. Be fearless, be confident then….the Lord your God is with you”
Hope and Confidence
They look forward with hope and confidence that more women will want to join their community to experience through Adoration, Prayer and work the joy of community life. As they say with joy in their hearts ‘come and see’.
Invitation to celebrations
So it is fitting that they should celebrate their lives and their history on this the 140th year of their existence in Bride Street Wexford. The Sisters wish to invite clergy, religious, people in Apostolates and laypeople from Wexford town, and from the diocese of Ferns to join with them in their celebrations.
The celebrations are planned for Sunday evening 19th July and Sunday starting with 11 am Mass in the Parish Church This will be followed with the planting of a rose tree in their garden. There will be a tour of the convent and a tour of their beautiful garden.
The Rise of the Roses
The women from the Rise of the Roses will join them in this unique and special celebration as part of their tour for the Year of Consecrated Life. Don’t miss this great historical and religious event and give the Sisters the support they deserve.
Most Rev. Dr Furlong, Bishop of Ferns
The late Most Rev. Dr Furlong, Bishop of Ferns, had for a long time entertained the hope of establishing within his diocese a convent of Perpetual Adoration, but it was only a few months before his death that he was enabled to make final arrangements for its permanent establishment.
By 1870 objective of Perpetual Adoration partially attained
The Sisters of Marie Reparatrice consented to accept the offer of the Convent of Rockfield in order to establish a branch of their community in Wexford. This house recently purchased by the Bishop, had the building enlarged and a chapel erected. It was July 1870, that Mother St. Joseph Bennett, Superioress, accompanied by a sister arrived to take charge of the yet unfinished building. Perpetual Adoration was not yet one of the rules of the order of the Marie Reparatrice, and consequently the Adoration of the Most Blessed Sacrament was only carried out during the day time.
Disappointment, Joy and Happiness
In a few years, several young ladies from the neighbourhood had entered the convent, and few communities could boast of being more united and happy. All seemed to promise stability and prosperity, but still the yearning of the Most Rev. Dr. Furlong’s heart was far from being satisfied. His Lordship’s frequent applications to the Mother General of the Order of Marie Reparatrice to permit the establishment of Perpetual Adoration had failed. She declined to alter the rules of her society. The nuns, in the convent he erected, would have only been too glad to carry out his wishes, but they were subject to another jurisdiction and were not permitted to do so. Eventually, however, his prayer was answered.
Convent of Perpetual Adoration founded in Bride Street
In October 1874 the Mother General sent one of her sisters to meet the Bishop and in a short time an arrangement was made whereby any of the community who wished to remain and place themselves under the jurisdiction of the Bishop, and found a convent of Perpetual Adoration, were free to do so. By far the greater number remained. Thus the foundation of the convent of Perpetual Adoration was laid and Mother Mary of St. Perpetua, Wexford was selected to be the superior.
Perpetual Adoration began in January 1875
With his Lordships permission, the Sisters began Perpetual Adoration in Wexford on the 1st of January 1875. The Bishop applied for the sanction of Rome for the enrolment of the new society, but it was not until August 1875, that the requisite authority arrived. The Bishop wept with joy as he communicated the news to the Sisters and others.
Pray that this great tradition will continue into the future
For over 140 years right up to the present time the Sisters of Perpetual Adoration have faithfully, joyfully and prayerfully carried on this great tradition of Adoration in Wexford. This convent is a powerhouse of prayer, peace and joy lifting the Sisters own hearts and all they pray for without ceasing. Let everyone pray to the Lord of the harvest that this amazing tradition will be carried on in this convent for future generations.
WE can be confident that the present and future community of Sisters in Bride Street Wexford will continue to quietly inspire many people by selfless lives of poverty, chastity and obedience offering a powerful yet humble counter- witness to the emptiness that so often surrounds us in today’s world.